Complex machines are usually a combination of the "simple machines"?

Mt. St. Helens this week

By Bill Nye | Published: March 8, 2010 – 1:45 pm

Greetings People of Science,

I’ll be in Portland, Oregon this Thursday, March 11 to talk about volcanoes.

Set aside a little time and come on down (or up from the Columbia) to First Congregational Church, 1126 SW Park Avenue. My talk starts at 7:00 pm.

Like so many of you, I am a big fan of volcanoes, and in the Northwest, we have one in our backyard. Mt St. Helens is an extraordinary place. One that has expanded our understanding of volcanoes, the movement of the Earth’s tectonic plates, and the remarkable nature of how ecosystems develop on volcanic soils. It’s much faster than most scientists expected. There’s rain and a rain of insects. There are loose rocks that become places to fix nitrogen. Volcanoes change and shape our world. So do we, it turns out. The more we can understand volcanoes and our place among them, the better we will do in the coming decades. So come this Thursday. It’s all for you in… the Subduction Zone, where tectonic plates rock, da’ lava bombs, and it’s all magmalicious! Drag your friends kicking and steaming! We’ll see you there Thursday Night!

Bill

Mount St. Helens Institute Board of Directors

On the edge of the crater

20 Responses to “Mt. St. Helens this week”

1. hey im a big fan of bill nye i watch his videos all the time i love the earth-quake one

2. Carol Brown says:

Hi Bill! Love(d) your show! Be careful on St Helens snow covered crater, tho. Some guy fell in from a cornice up thereā€”he didn’t survive. We wanna keep you around awhile longer. I’m gonna try to make it to the church on time to hear what you have to say. Give Ed Begley Jr. a wave for me, ‘k?

3. Brandy Rautenkranz says:

can’t wait!

4. Tindy says:

Ah! Really? Seriously? I’ll be in Portland (and on that side of the river, no less!) on….the 15th! Lame!

Hope it’s a good talk…:D

5. violet lucas says:

wow! iv always wanted to see a volcano in person and yet bill got to

6. Jamy says:

Bill! Today you just came to our school to our auditorium. However, most of the students that attend our school, me included, could not get a chance to meet you or even get a chance to see you. Many of us really wanted to see you even if your presentation was mainly for the 6th graders. There were many die-hard fans of yours that really wanted to see you in person. I’m sure you understand. Oh well, thanks for coming! You are awesome, keep up the good work!

7. Patty says:

Hey, Bill I wish I could have gone, I love your videos and so does my class.

8. rosie says:

Bill !
    It’s Tuesday, March 16. I live in West Linn, Oregon and i was wondering if you were still in Portland?

9. stacia says:

cool that is awesome!

10. Anna Berry-Leon says:

Hi Bill,
    My family went to your presentation in Portland last month. We all loved it. My team of teachers is taking our 3/4 graders to the mountain in June. It is a great field trip for them. I am curious, what would you hope that our students come away with after visiting a living volcano?
    I am hoping to climb up this summer.
    Thanks for all of the inspiration you have given our kids and adults over the years with your enthusiasm for science. You have made a big difference!
    Anna

11. lolly -pop is here says:

thats really cool . i live not far from where mount st helens is. its sure beutiful. my dad said it was awesome to watch and because he got to stay home frome school!:) i wanna see it some day too!

12. nathanial says:

love the picture

13. MY CLASS AT SKOOL LOVES WATCHING UR VIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. alexis says:

my classmates love your vids and helps us a lot:)

15. alexis says:

i love volcanoes two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Karina :) says:

i was hoping you could try to post some instructions for a science experiments on volcanoes pleeeaaaasssee! P.S. my friend’s 4th grade teacher luvs you she says your her man! :o :D

17. Karina :) says:

i was hoping you could try to post some instructions for a science experiments on volcanoes pleeeaaaasssee! P.S. my friend\’s 4th grade teacher luvs you she says your her man! :o :D

18. s p gonzalez says:

Your so cool

19. john says:

you should add some more imformation about volcanoes i’m doing a project about them. but there are some great pictures and imfo on mt st helens.

20. Aleina says:

Hey Bil!
    I was wondering if I could used some of your Mt. St. Helen pictures for a school project I’m doing about Mt. St. Helen erupting?

~Aleina