Modern skyscrapers are designed to bend and sway in the wind and during earthquakes?

A New Plan for Space

By Bill Nye | Published: April 19, 2010 – 8:55 pm

Greetings space explorers. Last week, I traveled to Cape Canaveral and sat in a spacecraft assembly building– very cool, wide open, precisely laid out space with a polished floor. The President of the United States announced a new plan, a new initiative to take humans to another world. We’ll go to the places in space, where the gravity of the Earth, Moon, and Sun are in balance with the spacecraft’s flight along the Earth’s orbit– the Lagrange points. We’ll go to an asteroid. We’ll do this with people. As we get better and better at it, we’ll send people to Mars. There we can work to answering the age old questions, where did we come from? And, are we alone?

I’m in the picture along with the board of the Planetary Society. We’re working to change the world. I hope you are too…

11 Responses to “A New Plan for Space”

1. Mising says:

Whoa, by the time I’m old, this space travel madness will probably be common business, making business with aliens for rare metals that cure cancer.

2. Danielle says:

Bill!

Can I call you Bill? We’ve never met, but my 10 – 12 year old self adored your videos. Best days in Science class.
    No w I’m 19 years old and finished my second year of university in Biological Sciences. Cool, huh?

That’s exciting that we’re focusing on space travel again, I’d heard that funding wasn’t going to be going to NASA anymore, and that was sad. I mean, we haven’t been to the moon in, what…years. I mean, ever since we’ve existed, humans have looked at the stars and tried to figure them out. And if we keep working, maybe we’ll finally understand!

3. Nick says:

One-half (or more) of the value of manned space exploration is the inspiration it provides to kids who have yet to choose a career path (or find a general interest in science and the world).

A lot of people focus on the costs, and exaggerate those costs, while ignoring the hard and soft benefits gained from ground breaking programs such as NASA.

Thank you Bill (and your colleagues) for everything you\’re doing to promote such a vital program.

4. Jaylen says:

Thank bill nye for helping the world and every body in it for us. good luck.

5. katie says:

i really like what you have been writing im gonna go on the website everyday to learn more about our planet and how we can makae a difference and i think i have been doing a pretty good job with helping the earth and if we all just do a little part to help the earth we can make a BIG DIFFERENCE

6. Mr Ken says:

I’m happy were going someplace new and this exciting change in direction will build new abilities in the public and private sectors. Its so nice to have a President that will study a system and then systematically make changes to correct its course. Keep fighting the good fight Mr Nye.

7. Mr Ken says:

I\’m happy were going someplace new and this exciting change in direction will build new abilities in the public and private sectors. Its so nice to have a President that will study a system and then systematically make changes to correct its course. Keep fighting the good fight Mr Nye.

8. Sarah says:

I’ve heard from a number of different sources* that Obama will disclose the existence of extraterrestrial beings by the end of this year. Lets hope all those sources aren’t full of it! Bring on the aliens!

*I use that term semi-loosely.

9. Dejuan says:

HEY THATS NOT FAIR I MEAN I THOUGHT THE PRESIDENT WAS GREAT IN ALL BUT, NOW HES CLOSING THE INVESTIGATION OF N.A.S.A TO FIND EXTRATERRESTRIAL LIFETHATS INSAME

10. Katie says:

WOW! I was researching space and I gasped a gasp so big my teacher asked me if I was looking at something I wasn’t supposed too!!

11. courtney says:

I LOOOOOV BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY!!!! MY FAVE VIDEO IS THE SPACES VIDEOS!!!!
    THEY ARE THE COOLEST!!!!